As in all big cities, it is wise to take a few precautionary steps when you go out in London:
- Check a map before you leave the house so you know where you are going.
- If you know that you are going to be out late at night, plan your return journey. Check the times of the last Tube and the night buses.
- After dark, keep to well-lit busy streets, look confident and try not to go out alone late at night.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash.
- When using cash machines (ATMs), check that no-one is looking over your shoulder and try to avoid using ATMs late at night.
The Home Office’s ‘Student Survival Guide’ and the British Council’s guide, ‘Safety First – A personal safety guide for international students’, provide useful information about staying safe as a student in the UK.